You can file new tickets and check progress on existing tickets here: https://support.cs.ncl.ac.uk/customer

For more details, read on...

Introduction

The purpose of the ticket system is to enable progress on requests to Support to be tracked. It should be used as the primary means of contacting Support about

  • problems with equipment
  • system software faults
  • software and equipment purchases
  • software and hardware advice

Before submitting a ticket, please try searching the support wiki to see if your problem is addressed by the documentation; you may get a quicker resolution that way.

To submit a support request

Via the web

Use the Web interface at https://support.cs.ncl.ac.uk/customer (log in with your normal campus ID and password). A ticket will be created and an automatic acknowledgement containing a ticket number emailed to your Newcastle address immediately after the request is received.

Via email

Send an email cs.support@ncl.ac.uk. A ticket will be created and an automatic acknowledgement containing a ticket number emailed to your Newcastle address immediately after the request is received.

Any email you send to cs.support@ncl.ac.uk with something like [Tkt: 12345] in the Subject field will be filed in the corresponding ticket number 12345, building up an audit trail of information and actions taken.

If you want to reply to an email from the system about an existing ticket, please ensure you reply to a message from the system in this way, otherwise you may accidentally create a new ticket, which may cause confusion and delay finding a solution to your problem. With most email clients, the correct text will automatically be inserted in the subject when you hit "reply". Follow-ups from the Web interface automatically go to the correct ticket.

Non-CS people

If you are not a recognised member of the School or are a new user who has not completed the Computing Science registration process, you will not be able to use the web interface and a request via email will have a delayed response.

/!\ Please don't submit requests or follow-up messages from a private (e.g. gmail or hotmail) address as any response cannot be guaranteed; always use your University mail account.

Tips and tricks

Please avoid raising multiple issues in the same ticket. Note that you can reopen a closed ticket at any time simply by sending a follow-up message; there is no need to create a new one!

If for some reason you are unable to submit a ticket, please contact the Duty Officer for the week, shown on the Support Team directory. If the problem is such that you cannot see the directory, please ask the Computing Science receptionists to raise a ticket on your behalf.

If you know that your request will actually be handled by core-NUIT please contact the http://www.ncl.ac.uk/iss/support/helpdesk directly. If in doubt, file one with us and we will pass it on if necessary and chase-up progress.

How many tickets do we get?

In the first two quarters of 2014, we averaged around 50 new tickets a week. We pass approximately 10% of our tickets through to core-NUIT, with the remaining 90% being related to CS Support services.

Here is a graph of total tickets received by year, up to July 2014:

Total tickets by year